Jane and I are getting re-acquainted. The group I am working with at Quilters Common receives the patterns and tips for 5 blocks each month. Between one thing and another I found myself way behind … a year and a half behind! So, this past month I was determined to get back to work on my Jane blocks. I have established a new goal of 8 blocks a month, which I must meet if I want to have a quilt finished for the groups planned quilt show.
I was quite busy and so far I have 9 new blocks and I also redid 2 blocks. Click on the thumbnails to enlarge these photos. When finished viewing them click on the “x” in the upper left corner of the page to return back to this post!
This is my redo of F-5. The original was a combo of machine piecing and hand piecing for the curved “melons”. I was so annoyed with the result that in protest I designed a curve free version of the block which I discussed in a previous Jane post. But, then I came across the “That Quilt” blog and redid the block using reverse applique for the melons. I am now a fan of reverse applique! The difference is very obvious (at least to me). No more wonky squares in the corners!
I redid H-10 because the color was wrong. My scheme calls for this to be a purple block, but I did it in red!
I also came up with my own way of finishing I-10. The sections are paper pieced and then I sewed them together by hand. My method of sewing the pieces together was to treat the block like a very modified nine patch with three rows. I am happy with the result.
That’s it for now … still planning to finish one more new block by the end of this week!