Here is the latest on my Jane Blocks.
I finally decided to do one of the corner kite blocks. My thinking is that I have enough triangles finished to justify this accomplishment. A wonderful reward!. This block has octagon pieces. I glue basted the seam allowances to card stock templates, then used Best Press to set the seams before removing the templates. The octagons were then hand pieced together and appliquéd to the background. I am happy with the finished block.
The three triangles all have some hand piecing as well as machine piecing. BR-9 needed to be adjusted because I cut the points off of the curved background pieces, so the bottom section is wider than it should be. This happens sometimes when you cut out the Dear Jane templates exactly as printed from the Electric Quilt software. I am not too upset about it and am not planning to redo this one.
My color scheme for the quilt has yellow for this block. I used a yellow with pink to add some color, so the hearts are not as obvious. The seams for the hearts were also glue basted to templates before setting the seams.
The next block was quite an adventure. First the diamonds and middle triangle at the bottom are appliquéd to a 6.5″ x 8.5″ piece of background fabric. The center circle started with a 6.5″ pinwheel block. The melons started as 3.5″ squares with just the inside curve cut on one side of each square. The curved edges were appliquéd to the pinwheel block resulting is a 6″ square for the center. Then the block was reverse appliquéd over the center piece. It was not my idea. Pat K. from Quilters Common came up with this fabulous method and it is just about the same as the one used on the That Quilt blog. It is time consuming but was not frustrating. I am happy with this one, too.