After many moths of neglecting my Dear Jane quilt I finally got some blocks put together for the July meeting.
Here are each of my blocks. The Star block was a bit of a challenge, but the method we used for the center was to fold a little square in half which worked out wonderfully.
I did have a bit of a hard time getting one of the background pieces lined up correctly when paper piecing the star. After ripping out three times I grabbed a 6″ width of fabric strip, placed the paper on top off that and ran it through the machine. Plenty of room and no wasted fabric after I trimmed it … how’s that for a new paper piecing method!
I did manage to get a couple of months behind on Jane, but I got five blocks done for the March meeting. Five more and I will have 50 blocks. The group at Quilter’s Common has been meeting for one year now. Three more years and I might have a quilt top! I don’t think I will catch up for awhile, but I hope I don’t get further behind!
I am working on my version of Peggy Anne’s In the Meadow Quilt. I know it is supposed to be a counting quilt, but I am getting a bit creative here, so the number of babies will not be quite the same and some may be missing from the scene all together. Changing my approach to a smaller quilt with separate blocks for each applique has re-awakened my creative spirit.
Here are the two blocks I have finished
Here is the current plan
Here is my previous background for the quilt, which may now be the backing?
I am now up to date with my Dear Jane Blocks. This month I was working with my Singer 301 Sewing Machine which just got cleaned and had some adjustments made. It is such a nice machine. It has a great stitch and is amazingly light. Perfect for taking to class.
I also wanted to comment on this month’s triangle block. Instead of appliqueing the curved piece on the bottom I decided to just sew it on with the machine because it is not much of a curve. And I cheated with the little melon. Yes, I did. It is fused in place with steam a seam and machine stitched around the edges. I think this will be just fine. After all, this is a MODERN Dear Jane quilt, so I am using as many modern techniques as I can!
Good Grief. It’s nearly the end of August and I still haven’t shared my Dear Jane Blocks.
I enjoyed putting these blocks together … not too much applique this month. Just the handle of the basket, which I did by machine. Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but it looks okay. I used steam a seam and ironed the handle in place and then machine sewed along the edges.
Here are my latest Jane blocks. Three of the five blocks are purple this month as indicated in my plan for the quilt .. a rainbow scheme starting with green in the middle, followed by yellow, etc. I still love working with the Kaffe Fassett and Philip Jacobs fabrics. You can use the large scale fabrics and pick sections to work with. The blocks seemed fussy to me this month, but maybe it was me! The reverse applique is the most trying. Hard to get the corners sewn without the raw edges poking out. I think I need most improvement in that area and will not doubt get the opportunity to do so in the next few years of my Jane Journey!
I have finished my Dear Jane blocks for Tuesday night’s meeting. I am enjoying this quite a bit …. so far! I love the fabric I am working with and the fact that each block is so different. This month I had two rotary cut and pieced blocks, two paper pieced blocks and one applique block. The paper pieced blocks are the fussiest, but the triangle block went together pretty quickly. Take a look at the May blocks. 10 done 215 to go!